Bernardine Kennedy

A chatty and newsy blog about author Bernardine Kennedy, her books, her writing career and her life. Check out the latest news, views and recommendations along with the occasional irrelevant photo.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Monkey Business

I was so sad to read of the death of Jim Cronin, the founder of Monkey World in Dorset. He was only 55 and still had so much to do with the rescued apes.
I remember being in Spain on holiday around twenty years ago and seeing a bloke (sadly a Brit) with a baby chimp in a night club and making it smoke a joint. I was furious but not brave enough to say anything.
Jim Cronin was brave enough and it was chimps like that that Jim and his wife Alison regularly rescued.

Also v.sad of course the death of Sally Clarke. There's nothing I can say on that, only that I hope that those involved in her conviction will hang their heads in shame for a long time.

On a more superficial level, my wordcount hasn't changed but that doesn't meant I've not been working.
I have done what I often do and decided after a flash of inspiration to change the chapters round! I often find when I'm struggling, its because the continuity is subtly wrong so it's all change and suddenly I can see once again where I'm going.

Concentration is difficult at the moment as next door have the builders in. I din't mind the crashing and banging (we've all done it) but I do find the statutory, top of the voice, jolly banter and the eternal radio that I know they can't hear because they're knocking walls down, irritating! Gee I'm an old grump!

My talk at Harlow went well, I think. I'm usually okay for the first 20 minutes and then I find myself either being repetitive or wordy in the extreme.
I like supporting libraries as I feel they are such a boon to the community......

Currenty reading FIRE SALE by Sara Paretsky, a thriller set in South Chicago. I nearly didn't get into it but as I was on a train I persevered and I'm glad I did. However, the main character keeps mentioning her 'peacoat'. Any suggestions? This is the first book of hers I've read...

Next on the 'to be read' list is Judy Astley's BLOWING IT. its on a subject close to my heart... spending the kids inheritance. I'm going to start soon, preferably with a world cruise.

Last week I had to have some tests at hospital. Now I know I'm no longer a teen (even if I act it under the influence) but I'm not a geriatric so why was I called 'luvvie, sweetheart, dear', etc etc by an assortment of nurses/orderlies who spoke v e r y s l o w l y?
Do they think we check our brains in with our clothes?
Grrrrrrrrr

Moment of the week for me was the suggestion that George Clooney plays the part of Liberace in the film of the showman's life. The mind boggles.

Till the next time!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    First things first....a peacoat is style of coat that is usually in heavy navy wool with two rows of buttons......I think orignally worn by the navy. Boden's do a lovely version in green that Iquite fancy but the double breasted boxyness doesn't necessarily do me any favours! http://www.boden.co.uk/col.asp?segname=Women&styid=WE162&segid=6&gpname=Jackets%2FCoats&desname=Spring+Peacoat&gpid=11&gen=

    Now well done on rejigging the story. You didn't pop into the coffee at Kates so I wondered how you were doing!

    Good luck this week!

     
  • At 6:47 AM , Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

    Google offers this link to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_coat where you can learn more about peacoats than you probably ever wanted to know.

    I too have found that getting the structure straightened out can be a useful unblocker.

    Hope your tests yield only good news.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home